Energy balls are a healthy snack option, but they are often high in kJ due to the amount of nuts and dried fruits in them. Making them with chickpeas, reduces the kJ content,and keeps these little beauties soft and chewy. The chickpeas in them also means they have added protein and fibre, which help with stabilising blood glucose levels, and help with satiety.
Makes 10-12 balls
400g tin salt-reduced chickpeas
1 ½ cups mixed raw nuts and seeds
1 cup medjool dates
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon natural peanut butter (no added salt or oil)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
3/4 cups shredded coconut
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Add the nuts into food processor, and blend until coarse. Add dates and blend again. Remove mixture from food processor.
- Add chickpeas, water, honey, peanut butter and vanilla extract, and puree to a smooth paste.
- Combine both mixtures, and remaining ingredients back into the food processor, and blend until combined.
- Using your hands, roll the mixture into little balls, which then can be rolled in shredded coconut, finely chopped nuts or cocoa powder.
- Store in airtight containing, and pop into fridge or freezer.
*recipe adapted from www.mckenziesfoods.com.au. Picture taken from same site.