Sushi, the age old traditional Japanese food, is highly popular in western culture and comes in in all shapes, sizes and flavours. So depending on what you order, it can truly offer a range of health benefits. We have 5 tips that will ensure your sushi order will keep you on track towards your health goals!
- Opting for brown rice will pack your meal with more fibre and nutrients for energy production and lowering the risk of colon cancer.
- Always go nori! Nori is the seaweed exterior of sushi and is high in many vitamins and minerals such as iodine, zinc, calcium, fibre, protein and vitamins A, E, C and K.
- If you’re looking for a low fat or high protein filling, choose the fresh tuna or salmon and veggie rolls over a fried chicken or tuna and mayo.
- Sushi can be deceiving in size, if you don’t portion control the meal it’s very easy to go over your RDI particularly for carbohydrates.
- The last thing to watch would be soy sauce. One tablespoon contains 1,500mg of sodium which is HALF your RDI. Try to use a lower sodium option where available.