Australia Day is just around the corner and for most of us it’s a day with good friends near a pool or the beach with plenty of barbeque meats, ice cold drinks and the Triple J Hottest 100 on in the background.
Here’s a few tips to keep your healthy habits on the day:
1. Choose lean proteins such as steak, skinless chicken breast, lean mince rissoles or grilled fish. A guide to the size of your meat serving is the size and thickness of the palm of your hand.
2. Pack your plate up with fresh, crisp salads. Remember that ½ your plate should be full of salads so eat a rainbow of veggies!
3. Take a fresh fruit salad or platter with you to your friend’s house. There’s nothing better than a slice of cold watermelon on a hot day.
4. If you choose to drink alcohol, try to keep you intake to a minimum and opt for light beers, spirit mixers such as soda water or diet cordials and go easy on the wines. Not only will you feel better the next day but you’ll stay more on track with your health and nutrition goals.
5. Be active! Get involved with a game of backyard cricket, kicking the footy around or pool volleyball.