Creamy and comforting, this is a twist to the original side dish. This Cauliflower Mash Recipe is lower in carbs and kJ, cauliflower is a great alternative to the much-loved potato. For a low-FODMAP option, remove the garlic, and cook with water rather than stock, if it contains FODMAP rich ingredients.
Cauliflower Mash Recipe
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (optional)
- 1kg cauliflower (about 1 medium head), chopped into 4-5 cm chunks
- 1-2 375ml salt-reduced vegetable stock /or water (enough to cover the cauliflower)
- Fresh rosemary or thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, bring the stock/or water to a boil. Add cauliflower and cook for 5-7 minutes, until tender, adding the garlic cloves in the last minute of cooking. If using water rather than stock, reserve ½ cup of the water used for boiling, before draining cauliflower.
- Transfer cauliflower and garlic to a food processor (or use a potato masher). Add oil and reserved water/stock, 1 teaspoon at a time, and purée until desired texture.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Add herb of choice and process/blend until just combined.
*recipe adapted from both taste.com.au and “The CSIRO low-carb diet” cookbook (2017). Picture from taste.com.au.