1 cloves garlic + 1 onion
Fresh flat leaf parsley
70g quality chorizo
2 skinless chicken breasts
extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
1 red capsicum
1 Tbsp tomato puree
1 chicken stock cube
300g paella rice
100g frozen peas
200g frozen peeled prawns – can use a different seafood if you’re not a fan of prawns!
- Peel and finely slice the garlic, peel and roughly chop the onion and carrot. Finely chop the parsley stalks, then roughly chop the chorizo and skinless chicken breast.
- Pour a dash of olive oil into a large casserole or paella pan on a medium heat, add the garlic, onion, carrot, parsley stalks, chorizo, chicken and paprika, and fry for around 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Deseed and chop the capsicum, then add to the pan for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir through the tomato purée and crumble in the stock cube, then add the rice and stir for a couple of minutes so it starts to soak up all that lovely flavour.
- Pour in 750ml of boiling water and add a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Pop the lid on and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly from the outside in and from the inside out, and adding a splash of water if needed.
- Stir in the peas and prawns, replace the lid, and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until hot through.
- Season to perfection, then chop the parsley leaves, scatter them over the paella, and serve with lemon wedges on the side for squeezing over.