Following a vegetarian diet can be great for your health, but is it important you are getting adequate protein into your diet.
The building blocks of protein are called amino acids. Our body can produce some of the amino acids, but other we must get from our diet.
To get all the essential amino acids from vegetarian protein options, choose from the following combinations:
- Quinoa – a gluten free grain that contains all the essential amino acids
- Buckwheat – also a gluten free baking flour alternative
- Chia seeds – packed full of omega 3/s and plenty of other minerals, they make a great chia pudding with fresh fruit for a breakfast option
- Soy products of tofu or tempeh – *quick tip: the harder the tofu the higher the protein content
- Rice + beans or lentils or chickpeas
- Beans + wholegrains e.g. hommus + pita bread OR tortilla + refried beans
- Nuts or seeds + wholegrains e.g. almond or peanut butter on toast
- Beans + nuts or seeds e.g. salad with sunflower seeds + chickpeas
- Eggs – if that’s a product you do include in your vegetarian diet