Healthy banana muffins – a great fibrous snack for school lunches or when you’re on the go!
- ⅓ cup low fat yoghurt
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tbs chia seed (soak for 15 mins in 6tbs water to thicken)
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- ¼ cup milk of choice (we used almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1¾ cups whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup oats
- optional: 2 tbs Psyllium husk, 1 cup berries, ½ cup chopped chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 165 degrees Celsius and line muffin trays with cupcake wrappers.
- In a large bowl, beat the yoghurt and honey together with a whisk. Add chia seed mixtures, beat well.
- Mix in the mashed bananas and milk, followed by the baking soda, vanilla extract, salt and cinnamon.
- Using a spoon, stir in the flour and oats to the bowl until just combined.
- If adding option extras, fold them in now.
- Divide the batter evenly, filling each cup about two-thirds full. Bake muffins for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Place the muffins on a rack to cool.