Homemade muffins are a great mid morning or afternoon snacks – you know exactly what is put in them, so you can make sure there are no hidden nasties! And recipes are easy to change around – you can swap the fruit, add in some dark chocolate or some nuts!
Time it takes: 40 minutes
Preheat oven to 160 C.
200 g (2 cups) rolled oats
125 g (1 cup) plain flour
25 g (1/4 cup) bran (optional)
80 g (½ cup) raisins
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup natural yoghurt
60 ml olive oil
2 tbsp honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine oats into a bowl with bran, raisins, yoghurt, oil, vanilla, baking powder, cinnamon, honey and eggs.
- Soak for 10 minutes to allow oats to soften.
- Add 1 grated apple with the skin and juice that comes from grating.
- Add the spelt flour and mix through lightly to form your muffin batter.
- Spoon into muffin tins that are lined with muffin cups.
- Sprinkle with oats and place into the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes 160 C then slice the other apple into 10 thin slices and place a slice of apple on top of each muffin.
- Bake for another 20 minutes or until muffin is cooked through. Remove from the oven.
*Recipe from: Teresa Cutter ‘The healthy Chef’ https://www.thehealthychef.com/2011/10/muesli-muffins/