This pumpkin, spinach and lentil lasagne is a delicious yet healthy take on the classic lasagne. Rich tomato flavours pair with sweet pumpkin, hearty lentils and spinach. The addition of low-fat ricotta makes this one healthier than usual while still being creamy. Definitely a must-try this winter.
Pumpkin, Spinach and Lentil Lasagne
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 400g pumpkin
- 400g lentils
- ¼ cup vegetable stock (try a salt-reduced)
- Tomato Passata – substitute for pasta sauce
- 250g low-fat ricotta
- Lasagne sheets – fresh or dry
- Baby spinach
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius (fan-forced)
- Heat oil in a pan and add onion to brown.
- Add the garlic, pumpkin, lentils & stock and then add 200mL of tomato Passata. Cover and leave to simmer until pumpkin is tender.
- Place ricotta into a bowl and use a fork to mash. Add in any herbs & spices you wish e.g. Italian herbs, nutmeg etc.
- Line the base of the lasagne dish with lasagne sheets and spread over ½ the pumpkin & lentil mixture and then top with lasagne sheets.
- Sprinkle the ricotta over the 2nd layer of lasagne sheets and top with spinach and then add another layer of lasagne sheets.
- Spread the remaining pumpkin & lentil mixture over, top with final lasagne sheets and then pour remaining tomato Passata over the top.
- Bake for approx. 45mins or until lasagne is cooked through.
- Could substitute layers of lasagne sheets with thin layers of zucchini or eggplant.
- This dish is vegetarian.
- To make the dish gluten-free use GF lasagne sheets or replace lasagne sheets with thin vegetable layers
- Could substitute lentils for lean mince, chickpeas or beans.
*recipe adapted from taste.com.au