I had this recipe given to me by a fellow Dietitian and it is delicious. Perfect to take along to weekend barbecue or have with dinner as it starts to warm up and cool, crunchy salads are the perfect dish!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 Lebanese cucumber’s cut in small pieces
- Kernals of 1 large corn cob (blanched)
- 1 cup fresh parsley roughly chopped
- 4 spring onions thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh mint roughly chopped
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup first cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- Himalayan pink salt & cracked black pepper to taste
Cooking Instructions for Quinoa
- Cover 1 cup of quinoa with water and let soak 8-12hrs or overnight.
- Wash and drain quinoa.
- Bring 1 ½ cups water to the boil with a pink of salt.
- Add quinoa and cover. Bring back to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 25min with lid on, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the stove and allow to steam in pot for another 10-15mins.
- In a large bowl mix cooked quinoa, oil, lemon juice and seasoning and with a fork, separate the grains and mix well.
- Add herbs through the quinoa mix.
- Add corn, cucumber and spring onion and mix well.
- Place cherry tomato halves on top of salad to serve.
Recipe adapted from Virgina Corpus-McDermot of Kitchen Vitality http://www.kitchenvitality.com/